Have a Safe Holiday
The summer holidays draw large crowds to Cherokee County to enjoy the beautiful lake and streams for some cool outdoor adventures. This summer and holiday season I encourage you to practice water safety and help us reduce the number of water accidents and drowning. We have experienced a sharp number of water related deaths and injuries recently. Please take a few minutes to prepare your family for a safe season. Below are a few tips about safe swimming.
• Always have someone prepared to be a lifeguard; don’t allow children to swim unattended.
• Don’t jump into the water; get your body acclimatized to the water temperature.
• Don’t jump into the water from heights; there could be unseen obstacles below.
• Try to stay out of deep water.
• Look for signs and advise about specific dangers in areas where you are swimming.
• Always have a safety device available and practice for what to do if someone needs assistance.
• Don’t operate watercraft or swim, after consuming alcohol.
We encourage you to enjoy water sports. Just be responsible and avoid any unnecessary risks.